Claude Moore Recreation CenterSterling, VA
The design of this community center, which is located within Claude Moore Park in Loudoun County, Va., followed the desires of community residents to reflect a “farmacular” architecture, in contrast to the big-box suburban sprawl that surrounds the historic park setting. Accordingly, the building is organized as a farm compound of simple connected masses that orient to the park entry drive and adjacent woodland. A traditional barn-and-silo profile fronts smaller “out buildings” that extend from the central lobby and contain the gymnasium, community rooms, and teen and childcare areas.
The team of Counsilman-Hunsaker and Wisnewski Blair & Associates developed this state-of-the-art recreation center and natatorium, which includes both leisure and competitive amenities:
- 50-meter competitive swimming pool with moveable bulkhead to provide flexibility for classes, athletic, and community use
- 5,200 sq. ft. leisure pool, designed for fun and to accommodate fitness programming such as water walking, water exercise, and other swim activities
- 200 sq. ft. whirlpool spa
- 2009 – Recreation Management magazine
- 2009 – ‘Architectural Showcase’ Athletic Business magazine