In September 2005, the City of La Mirada commissioned Counsilman-Hunsaker to develop cutting-edge aquatic options and to provide research that would assist the city in making decisions on how best to proceed with the design and construction of an outdoor aquatic center. The study’s objective was to identify and evaluate current aquatic programming and facilities, both locally and nationally, and establish a needs analysis for new aquatic space and programming that would best meet the community’s aquatic needs.
Based on the comprehensive market analysis, the city selected a design option that developed into the “Splash” La Mirada Regional Aquatics Center. The center is located on 18 acres on the western edge of La Mirada Regional Park, adjacent to the city’s administrative and community recreational facilities.
The Spanish heritage, seafaring themed complex features:
- 1 2,990 sq. ft. 50-meter competition pool with bulkhead
- 5,059 sq ft. 25-yard fitness/instructional pool with eight lap lanes
- 234 sq. ft. 20 person therapeutic spa
- 1,200 sq. ft. children’s splash pad with interactive aquatic play features
- 12,567 sq. ft. leisure pool • Multi-play structure with tipping bucket
- 600 foot-long lazy river
- Three large waterslides, including a body, tube and speed slides
- Best of Aquatics Award. Aquatics International 2008.
- Innovative Architecture & Design Award. Recreation Management 2008.
- Achievement Award. California Park & Recreation 2007.
- Award of Excellence for Aquatic Facility. California Park & Recreation Society 2007.
- “Dream Designs.” Aquatics International June 2009.
- “LaMirada’s Newest Treasure Unveiled.” World Watepark Oct/Nov 2008.
- “Big Splash.” Aquatics International March 2008.
- “Cool by the Pool.” Parks and Recreation November 2008.
- “A Buccaneer’s Brew.” Water Shapes May 2008.