Miami UniversityOxford, OH
Counsilman-Hunsaker in association with Moody Nolan Ltd. was selected to design a first-class aquatic center for Miami University. The private university wanted a facility that would provide athletic and recreational programming spaces to meet the needs and objectives of their students and community.
Counsilman-Hunsaker’s design included four bodies of water: competition pool, diving well, leisure pool, and whirlpool spa. Highlighted amenities of the aquatic complex feature:
- 50-meter competition pool with eight lanes
- Moveable floor for shallow water uses of deep water competition pool
- 25-meter by 17-meter diving well, which can be sectioned off to provide additional lap lanes
- Diving tower with 1, 3, 5, 7½, and 10-meter diving
- Separate leisure pool includes warm-water play areas of shallow zero-depth entry for disabled swimmers and children, aerobic/instruction area, waterfall and current channel
- 16 person whirlpool spa
A cutting-edge design feature of the diving well includes two systems that help protect divers from injury: a sparger system that provides a soft landing cushion of aerated water for divers during training by introducing diffused air into the water below the diving boards, and a surface agitator that sprays water onto the surface from above.